Friday, October 19, 2012

The Diary of Samuel Pepys: 36% Complete

So once again I slacked off a bit on my reading during the week.  I think this is just a reality which I'm going to have to live with.  At least on the weekends I generally catch up a bit.  And I'm still ahead of schedule, so it's okay.  So I'm now up to 36% of the way through the diary.  It feels like I've been reading and reading and reading this book for so long and yet I still have a long, long way to go.  But it is still fascinating to me and the fact that it is so long means that I am really getting my head into his world in a way I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.
 
Today's word is "perfidious" which means deceitful and untrustworthy.  My dictionary has the words POETIC/LITERARY before the definition.  When Pepys and his wife got into a fight (which they did fairly regularly), she called him a perfidious man, something he is quite insulted by.  In 1660's England even their fights were poetic.
 
In our quote for today, the Russian ambassador (Pepys spells it embassador) comes to London and Pepys has the opportunity to see his procession coming through the streets.  He writes,
 
"I could not see the Embassador in his coach; but his attendants in their habits and fur caps very handsome, comely men, and most of them with hawkes upon their fists to present to the King.  But Lord! to see the absurd nature of Englishmen, that cannot forbear laughing and jeering at everything that looks strange."

No comments:

Post a Comment