Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Diary of Samuel Pepys: 19% complete

I was able to get quite a bit of reading done over the weekend, so I'm now finished with 19% of The Diary of Samuel Pepys.  So here's another new word (for me...I'm sure many people have a larger vocabulary than do I) and another quote which I enjoyed from the book.

One thing I've noticed in gathering vocabulary words from this book, is that many of the words are ones which I am already familiar with, but they are being used in a way which is unfamiliar.  So today's word is "fondness" which I know to mean affection or caring.  However, there is another definition of this word that means foolishness, and Pepys uses it in this sense on a couple of occasion.

The quote of the day refers to one of Pepys's friends, Mr. Butler, whom Pepys refers to often as Monsieur L'Impertinent.  Pepys writes:

"I went with [Mr. Henson] to the Swan Tavern and sent for Mr. Butler, who was now all full of his high discourse in praise of Ireland, whither he and his whole family are going by Coll. Dillon's persuasion, but so many lies I never heard in praise of anything as he told of Ireland."

No comments:

Post a Comment